People use various kinds of communication in order to travel to different places. Traveling by airlines is one of the best and fastest way to reach your destination.
Currently, there are around 131 airports located in India, among them, 34 are international airports. In this article, we will discuss the biggest and busiest airports in India.
Biggest and Busiest Airports in India:
- Indira Gandhi International Airport – Delhi
- Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport – Mumbai
- Kempegowda International Airport – Bengaluru
- Chennai International Airport – Chennai
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport – Kolkata
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport – Hyderabad
- Cochin International Airport – Kochi
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport – Ahmedabad
- Pune International Airport – Pune
- Dabolim International Airport – Goa
- Jaipur International Airport – Jaipur
- Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport – Lucknow
- Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport – Guwahati
- Trivandrum International Airport – Trivandrum
- Biju Patnaik International Airport – Bhubaneswar
We have listed the biggest and busiest airports in India. These airports are scheduled for commercial and international flights.
1. Indira Gandhi International Airport – Delhi:
This Airport is not only India’s busiest airport but also it is considered as the world’s busiest airport due to Airbus A320 aircraft. This Airport is having three runways, and it is the only airport in India that is equipped with CAT III-B ILS.
This Airport is one of the few airports in India which uses A-CDM, which is an advanced system for keeping landing and takeoff timely. Indira Gandhi International Airport is also the biggest airport in India due to passenger traffic and cargo traffic.
2. Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport – Mumbai:
This is one of the busiest airports which is considered the 14th busiest airport in Asia. This airport handles around 900 aircraft per day, and this Airport is awarded as the world’s best airport for the service.
They offer international and domestic flights to major parts of India and the world.
3. Kempegowda International Airport – Bengaluru:
This is the first fully solar-powered Airport located in Karnataka. This airport handles both domestic and international aircraft in a single runway. Alliance Air and Air Asia India are having a hub in this airport.
4. Chennai International Airport – Chennai:
This Airport is the 4th busiest airport in India and the 52nd busiest airport in entire Asia. This Airport is hav ing 2 runways which are used for international flights for Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Colombo, and Dubai. They also offer cargo hub for Blue dart aviation.
5. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport – Kolkata:
This International Airport is located at the dumdum region of Kolkata, and it was renamed as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport. This Airport is the largest hub for the air traffic in the entire eastern region of India.
West Bengal is having two international airports, and this is one of them. The other international airport offers flights to southeast Asia, Bhutan and China.
6. Rajiv Gandhi International Airport – Hyderabad:
This airport is having a cargo terminal, a passenger terminal, and two runways. This Airport is also having cargo hub for Blue Dart Aviation, Quikjet Cargo and Lufthansa cargo. This Airport is offering flights from Air India to various locations.
7. Cochin International Airport – Kochi:
Another biggest and busiest airport in the Kerala region. This airport is the first one to you located in India which is being developed under the partnership of public and private.
This Airport is having the base for Air India Express, which is a subsidiary Indian Flag carrier airlines air India. This airport basically offers flights to the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
8. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport – Ahmedabad:
This Airport is the 8th nearest airport for the passenger traffic in India. this Airport is offering its service for the twin cities of Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad.
This Airport is also being awarded for the most improved airport in the Asia Pacific.
9. Pune International Airport – Pune:
This airport offers services for both domestic and international flights. This Airport is also certified for the clearance of passengers and baggage as an international airport.
This Airport is proposed to be renamed as Chhatrapati Sambhaji Raje International Airport, which is located in Purandar.
10. Dabolim International Airport – Goa:
This airport handles both domestic and international flights, along with 5,500 tons of cargo from FedEx express and Blue Dart Aviation. This airport is considered as the 10th busiest airport located in India.
This Airport is basically used for shipping various cargoes with the help of various shipping companies around the globe.
11. Jaipur International Airport – Jaipur:
Eleventh busiest International Airport located in India, and it is considered as the best airport in the world due to the traffic of more than 5 million passengers per day.
This airport offers both International and domestic flights to all the major regions in India.
12. Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport – Lucknow:
This Airport is located in the capital city of Lucknow, which is having two operational terminals and it is one of the awards at the airport for the best service in July 2013.
Another Airport was also awarded along with this airport on the same date which is Jodhpur airport also located in India.
Must Read: What is the Full Form of VISA?
13. Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport – Guwahati:
Guwahati International Airport was renamed to Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport. This Airport is basically serving the Northeastern region of India for both domestic and international flights.
Although a new airport was also opened recently which is Greenfield Pakyong airport located near Gangtok in Sikkim region.
14. Trivandrum International Airport – Trivandrum:
Another busiest airport located in Kerala, and it is the second busiest airport in the Kerala region. This airport handles international flights, domestic flights, and cargo. The cargo services are offered by SriLankan cargo and Saudia cargo.
15. Biju Patnaik International Airport – Bhubaneswar:
This Airport is located in the capital city of Orissa which is Bhubaneswar. This Airport is the 15th busiest airport located in India according to the Airports Authority of India.
This airport handles both international and domestic flights. They basically offer Air Asia as the international flights to Asian regions, also offers various domestic flights to all the major destinations located in India.
If you genuinely travel by airlines and residing in India, then you need to know about the airport and their situation. We have collected complete information about the biggest and busiest airports available in India from online research and posted them in this article for you.
Share this useful article with others, so that they get to know about the airport located in India.
Hi, This is Om Prakash Saroj. I Have More than 5 years experience in Creating a Professional Design. Love to work, like to use my creativity, want to make my clients happy.